View Single Post
Old 11-16-2014, 05:05 AM   #8
Giller

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbrown77 View Post
Why can't Porsche find better suppliers? Starters, water pumps, radios....I've never seen a car with so few miles generate so many problems from accessories with which other manufacturers have achieved bullet-proof reliability 30 years ago. I "get" that brakes and tires are going to wear faster on a Porsche due to alignment settings and trade-offs between performance and reliability. However, a starter should never fail - nor a water pump. It's not exactly doing the toughest job in all of autodom, all it needs to do is spin under no-load. The last time I had to do a water pump on a mainstream car was in a 92 Ford with 260,000 miles on it. I couldn't exactly fault the car. I don't think I've replaced a starter since my '87 Cherokee.
I truly believe some of the problems reside in that these cars have such low mileage. Vehicles that sit for periods and don't get driven do tend to have more problems. There are a ton of people on here and who own these cars who would argue they are extremely reliable - they are also the ones who DD and put lots of mileage on them. The more you drive them - the more reliable they are, for the most part.
And - there are also lemons in every batch. Lots of people out there hate Fords for similar reasons.