View Single Post
Old 11-16-2014, 04:15 AM   #7
Timco
I am my own mechanic....

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterbrown77 View Post
Why can't Porsche find better suppliers? Starters, water pumps, radios....I've never seen a car with so few miles generate so many problems from accessories with which other manufacturers have achieved bullet-proof reliability 30 years ago. I "get" that brakes and tires are going to wear faster on a Porsche due to alignment settings and trade-offs between performance and reliability. However, a starter should never fail - nor a water pump. It's not exactly doing the toughest job in all of autodom, all it needs to do is spin under no-load. The last time I had to do a water pump on a mainstream car was in a 92 Ford with 260,000 miles on it. I couldn't exactly fault the car. I don't think I've replaced a starter since my '87 Cherokee.
I'm in this guy's boat.

My Ranger has a 3.0, 225k on odo, has worked many times harder hauling massive loads, dozens of mountain & desert trips, lived outside for 5-6 years, has many times the starts, 6th clutch, has idled in winter as a shelter for outside work, and I just swapped the WP which was $80. Original starter. Alternator died last year.

P car has new starter, WP, alt, and so on at 130k, and WP had been swapped before.

Ford should have bought Porsche for some new perspective.
Timco is offline   Reply With Quote