View Single Post
Old 11-07-2014, 06:32 PM   #5
KevinH1990

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFeller View Post
Is there a difference in the clear lenses on the standard lights verses the litronics? If not, why not pull the lense from the old style and place ir on the litronics? That is - if the litronic lense cnnot be polished.
I thought about that. The process for opening the headlight:

How to open sealed headlights, Porsche 996 986 - YouTube

appears to be a little risky. Too much force at the wrong time might result in a broken cover.

I would also like to "de-amber" as a side benefit of the litronic upgrade. Using a cover from the old-style lens wouldn't benefit me in that regard. I think that I will try polishing first. If that doesn't work I'll look at other options.

The polishing process seems to work well. The person in this video used the Turtle Wax kit on an old-style headlight.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93EilTta1OY

Consumer Reports indicated that the Sylvania system was better, so that is what I plan to use.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/headlight-restoration-kits/buying-guide.htm

I tested the passenger side light tonight. It worked except for the turn signal. I suspect that the bulb is burnt out or broken. It was nice to see that I didn't have to replace the D2S litronic bulb. There appear to be some inexpensive generic xenon bulbs, but the brand name units are expensive. The light from the litronic bulb is noticeably whiter and brighter than that from the halogen.

I did find a driver's side assembly at a salvage yard. It does not include the control unit, but I can take that off of my broken light.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console

Last edited by KevinH1990; 11-07-2014 at 06:41 PM.
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote