View Single Post
Old 11-06-2014, 08:44 AM   #35
Perfectlap

RN, thanks for your comment.

I agree having the a FACTORY glass window is nice because you have the same amount of access to the engine in the service position as plastic window top. But all other benefits of a glass top are easily attained by adding a $1,500 aftermarket glass top to a pre-2003 Boxster. So if you don't spend a lot of time doing your own wrenching in that area not a huge advantage for 2003 and 2004 cars. And after 10 years, those 03-04 glass tops are not so new looking anymore unless they were well looked after. Some people run these through car washes and that car wash soap detergent is the last thing that should go on it.

Also, I'm on my second plastic top but only because I was careless once in removing some ice and put a small cut in the plastic. Otherwise it was spotless after nearly 10 years and I never did the chop unless it was a little crisp outside (below 65F) and I haven't lowered the top in a while. Otherwise if you leave it alone, but watch it to make sure its bending neatly, after a certain number of bends it will form a crease as the right point. I think doing the chop every time keeps it from forming this crease on its own.

Otherwise a buyer should keep in mind that 97-99 is essentially the same car. As are 2000-2004, 2005-2008, and 2009 - 2012. Look for cars with the least amount of wear and tare within each of those ranges and if mileage is up there, ask what parts have been replaced. If suspension, cooling and clutch/IMS have not been addressed yet, slap at least $5-$8K on to the selling price of the car if you intend to drive it daily or regularly in climates that see extreme heat or cold. If you live where the temps are mild, roads are nice and you'll only be driving the car on Sundays, you can probably avoid most of the big repairs for a long while. If you look at the typical used Porsche buyer, a sizeable chunk are DIY'ers which tells you something about the costs to run these cars. People without the tools, space or know-how stay far away from out-of-warranty Porsches. Either way if you can wrench or not, the old Porsche rule of "pay now, or pay later but you will pay" still applies because the big expense in these cars is the parts not really the labor.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 11-06-2014 at 08:46 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote