View Single Post
Old 10-31-2014, 12:51 PM   #3
Qmulus
inveniam viam aut faciam

Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerties View Post
I recently completed a 99 3.4L 996 engine swap into a 99 boxster using a Cayman S MAF housing with the larger diameter. Next step is to flash the ECU to the 996 firmware. From what I've read the 1999 ECU's are re-flashable. It's the '97's that aren't.

Anyone know of someone in the Denver, CO area that can perform this ECU flash? I've called every self described "tuning" place I could find on Google but none of them have a PST-2 or PIWIS service computer (not really "tuners" apparently).
I work with almost all of the independent German shops around the Front Range and I don't know of any of them that have a PIWIS or PST-2, mostly because you cannot buy a legitimate PST-2 or PIWIS (or 2), as they are "leased" from Porsche. For that you will need to go to a dealer and the costs to get the factory tools is more than all but the largest shops working on LOTS of late model Porsches can afford. I do think shops with Autologic tools may be able to flash your ECU to stock 996 code. There are a few shops that I know of with Autologic tools. Even those end up costing $40k once fully outfitted. Have you checked with the good Porsche shops and asked what they would recommend? I got a couple of calls this week from shops asking if I could do this, probably in regards to your car. I declined as I have just starting playing with Porsches.

IMO, noone in the Front Range is going to be able to do a custom tune for you if that is what you are looking for. They can get a tune from their suppliers, but they don't do it in-house. There aren't many places in the country that can do that. I have done this kind of stuff with Audis and VWs, but there is a much larger market for those, especially for software tuning and engine swaps.

Last edited by Qmulus; 10-31-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Qmulus is offline   Reply With Quote