Thread: 78-83 911sc
View Single Post
Old 10-26-2014, 05:01 PM   #70
Swhitcomb

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster View Post
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but keep these things in mind...

The 77 VW bug conv I bought for my winter project has brittle wire insulation, petrified gas line, and sketchy ground wires. It's 37 yrs old, that's par for the course.

And we wax nostolgic for cars of our youth and remember all the good things about them. Plus we think cars of yesterday are reliable like cars today and they'll go 150K care free mi. Remember how we used to sell cars at 70K mi because they'd be junk at 100K? No one wanted a car back then w/ 100K mi. The VW has already stranded me on a short jaunt around the neighborhood. A VW mechanic stopped to help me and said my best purchase would be Triple A towing service.

That 78 is a beautiful looking car in the pics. Just remember it's 36 yrs old and there's bound to be foibles.
I too am a VW guy. I disagree however. My 71 Ghia has never left me stranded and I drive it 100s of miles at a time. My wife owns a 73 Thing. Never broken down. The key is to keep up with the maintenance. I am my own mechanic. I only use good german parts of whenever possible. Take car of it, and it'll take car of you. Same thing with a 78 911.
Swhitcomb is offline   Reply With Quote