View Single Post
Old 10-20-2014, 09:00 AM   #3
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by A&F View Post
So I am getting ready to drop the trans and replace the clutch. I am looking at popping out the IMS as well and installing the updated Pelican bearing ($167). Looking around at the install FAQ and it says to use the LN install tool kit. I pull that up and see $20 in metal chunks and a $410 price tag. I then proceed to puke my lunch on the table.

Are these tool really "required"? I know LN and Pelican certainly want you to buy them. I've not see anyone reference another way to pop out and install the bearing.

Car is a '98 Boxster 2.5l
Yes, the tools and the LN Engineering instructions are required. By far, most of the botched IMS upgrades we have encountered happened because someone tried to avoid using the tools or took short cuts. In some cases, this proved fatal.

Do a search, someone is selling a lightly used set just about every day of the week. I would also rethink using the steel replacement bearing, it is no better than what you are taking out, and in some cases is less durable.