View Single Post
Old 10-19-2014, 09:01 AM   #1
austinkthompson

Now 3rd gear is messing up

Hey everyone!

I've posted here before that in my 1999 Boxster, 2nd gear would sometimes slip and my car would sit in neutral at stops and things like that until it reengages again. Well I had that repaired (I had the entire clutch pack replaced, along with the IMS bearing)

That fixed my problem with 2nd gear, it works great now, sometimes. :/ Sometimes my car will still idle or go into neutral when i'm stopping or at a red light. But it's not as constant now.

Well, now 3rd gear is being weird. When I'm shifting from 2nd to 3rd gear, it slams again. Just like 2nd gear used to do to me. Now when I'm driving too, 3rd gear will sometimes go out then go back in, and then go out again and reengage. All within 5 seconds, a really quick jerking motion with happen.

I was talking to some of my local PCA members and they said it could be that a filter in my transmission might be kinda clogged and it's preventing transmission fluid from getting to the right places. Could this actually be the problem? Or do I just need to go ahead and get a new transmission?

I'm really wanting to keep this car for a long time and give it some TCL, but if this transmission keeps being finicky like this with me I just don't know what else I can do.

Any help as to what it may be? OR what I can do to find out?