View Single Post
Old 10-18-2014, 06:45 PM   #25
Qmulus
inveniam viam aut faciam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pdwight View Post
But this is a lot of "stuff" to stuff up the butt of a Boxster
Well, that is an Audi V8 along with an automatic, not a Chevy LSx. Audi V8s are pretty short, and will bolt up to the Boxster transmission with the right flywheel, so you may not have the same issues with the firewall that you do with the Chevy LSx.

Integration of the Audi engine with the Porsche electronics is actually pretty easy. Likely even easier than the Chevy, even with the GM Performance engine harness and ECU. I just so happen the proper engine ECU for V8 with manual transmission and no immobilizer sitting on my desk as I type this. You just have to make sure to get the right engine. You would want the 40 valve 4.2 from an '02-'03 A6, S6, A8 or S8 with the Bosch ME 7.1.1 ECU. The S cars will have a bit more hp. Those engines are also pretty light and I would bet you could use the AC compressor and power steering pump as is on the Audi engine, with just some adaptation needed on the lines. Those engines are getting cheap ($2k complete, sometimes less) with everything.

The down side is that the Chevy engine will be easier to make a lot of hp with. With the Audi V8, you will get maybe 350hp, and not much more no matter what you do. Both engines are reliable, but the Chevy would be cheaper to keep with parts available anywhere. I would say that the 40 valve V8 is probably one of the best engines Audi ever made, but if things do go south, you are looking at Porsche-like prices to fix it. The Audi engine will be a bit higher rev'ing and may match the stock Boxster gearing a bit better than the LSx. Hmmm, another interesting option.

Last edited by Qmulus; 10-18-2014 at 06:57 PM.
Qmulus is offline   Reply With Quote