Thread: SF Bay Area
View Single Post
Old 10-16-2014, 06:56 PM   #31
OnFire
Mach 3 with your hair….

Stay Away from Flintworks!

Just wanted to share my experiences with Alden Flint from Flintworks. I bought a 2000 Boxster S from a private party. I planned on driving down to LA, picking up a buddy, and driving home to Chicago via Route 66. Based on the sellers recommendation and Yelp! reviews I had Alden do a clutch replacement, an IMS bearing upgrade, and a pre-purchase inspection. During the inspection he found a torn CV boot, and recommended axle replacements with aftermarket parts. I agreed. I picked up the car and got 200 miles down the PCH before the engine failed catastrophically. I took a cab to a U-Haul, rented a truck and a trailer and hauled the car back to his shop. His assistant revved the engine near redline for close to 5 minutes while he listened to different parts of the engine trying to determine the cause of the noise. All while the engine continued to go BANG BANG BANG. He pulled the pan and found copper colored metal shavings. I had him put the oil back in and had the car shipped home.

I had an engine rebuilder replace the engine with a 3.4 from a 911. While he was in there, he pulled out the oil filter. It was a twisted, shrunken, clogged, filthy wreck. According to Alden, he had changed the oil less than 500 miles prior to me picking up the car, so it didn't need an oil change. Obviously, something was amiss. My new mechanic also found within two minutes of starting the inspection, oil in the coolant, coolant in the motor oil, and eventually, after tearing the engine down, a cracked cylinder head. He also found and replaced a bad starter.

After getting the car back, a quick check of the car revealed: non-functioning windshield wipers, a flat spare tire, door locks that didn't work, remote door locks that didn't work (the key), a CD player that didn't work, and a scan revealed about 10 faults involving electrical/door lock problems.

I asked Mr. Flint to reimburse me for the engine and travel/shipping costs because his pre-purchse inspection sucked and he either didn't do or lied about the oil filter change. I had four professional mechanics inspect the filter. They ALL said the clogged oil filter caused the rod bearings to fail due to a lack of oil. He refused and said I was to blame because I had revved the engine to 6000 RPM. (I'm sure you all realize the redline is 7000 RPM.)

Two days ago, I was driving the car and when I put it into reverse, the car didn't move. A quick inspection revealed that the axle (which he replaced and have a 2 year/24,000 mile warranty) on the driver side was no longer connected to the transmission.

I have the letters from the professional Porsche mechanics, pictures, and all the other documentation, including the service records as performed by Flintworks.
I am in the process of legal remediation.

Ask to see his ASE certification and Porsche Factory training certificates that he states he has on his website. I spent hours in his shop and didn't see one. My wife is a dentist and proudly displays her diplomas, medical licenses, and ADA membership on her walls.

I really like Alden. He's a great guy. He's easy to talk to, hard working, and earnest. I will never let him touch another automobile I own as long as I live and suggest you think twice before you do…..

Last edited by OnFire; 10-16-2014 at 07:01 PM.
OnFire is offline   Reply With Quote