View Single Post
Old 10-13-2014, 01:11 PM   #17
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmboxster View Post
I never understood this "pecking order" mentality. Who cares ? Who cares what some other Porsche owner thinks of my car ? I mean, seriously I could care less than Less..
It's basically something that evolved in the 1980's, really got going in the 1990's.
Even though Porsche as a prestigious sports car brand is much older than that. It really boils down to guys who learned to drive in the 70's and 80's. They see Porsche in the post 1964 era, or the Porsche = Carrera mentality. The clever guys at Porsche latched onto this generational change and made sure to milk it by upselling the Carrera and marketing all their other Porsches as "stepping stone" cars.

I really can't think of another brand that is so effective at getting its fans to believe all of their marketing. Like for example the Cayman being a better handling car than the Boxster. Porsche sold this idea at the time of the Cayman launch and there have really been few instances of journalists or blogger taking this marketing idea to task as it eventually becomes the common belief. For instance most people were surprised when Johannes Van Overbeek proved that the Boxster was the more nimble car in an Excellence Magazine piece. Meanwhile folks who know that the quickest cars are those with the most neutral balance and least amount of weight on top, were not at all surprised. Which tells us that we will see the 981 Cayman GT4 climb up the "pecking order" but similar power and weight trimming treatment will probably not be given to the 981 Boxster. Or maybe Porsche will surprise me...
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 10-13-2014 at 01:20 PM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote