View Single Post
Old 10-07-2014, 11:51 AM   #18
BIGJake111

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
I think Porsche are slowly raising the prices of their new cars now that foreign markets have provided no shortage of wealthy buyers. They seem to be more interested in becoming the next Rolls Royce or Bentley while leaving the BMW, Mercs and Audis to fight over the people who scoff at a 20-30% price hike. They're after the buyer that has serious bank and flips their new car every year instead of every four. As a boutique brand they can afford to do that, not much risk because of their brand status and swelling ranks of multimillionaires and billionaires. Lot's of upside for Porsche to go way upstream.

p.s.
I don't think selling a entry level Porsche would have any impact on used Boxster prices. First of all there are a metric ton of water-cooled Boxsters/Caymans and Carreras. And that's before you even get to the Panas and Cayennes.
Right now on Autotrader there are over 3,000 996/997 and 991's up for sale. 996 Turbos are already into the $30k range which means they're already cheaper than what this new entry level Porsche would have cost.
With this kind of used Porsche inventory there simply will never be enough used car buyers willing to roll the dice on an out-of-warranty German car that requires expensive parts and specialized labor. Supply and demand will be out of balance for decades to come. Porsche are simply selling too many cars. And those air-cooled cars have become baseball cards on wheels, every time you put 10K miles on the odometer the owner feels the pinch so in the garage it stays on all but sunny days. Point is having lots of water-cooled Porsches available to us makes buying new kind of nuts to me, it's like burning hundred dollar bills with a cigar lighter. But that's just me. Be patient and you'll have any Porsche you want with all of the latest safety and performance. Just make sure its not PDK, those are going to be a nightmare to fix out-of-warranty.

I think it is crazy to buy a new anything, but porsches really are good value, a 981 with the right options is competing against cars worth over double, the panamera is a bargain compared to the Rapide, The Macan is the bargain of the century. The only porsche that seems overpriced is a base 911, heck you can get a gt3 before you can get a few options on a base 911. So yeah they are good value compared to other cars on the market and the price hikes simply match inflation perfectly, put in the base price for a 986 into an inflation calculator and you get pretty close to a 981 base price, and I'd argue the 981 comes better equipped from the factory.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote