View Single Post
Old 10-06-2014, 12:50 PM   #1
qstoria

Help and suggestions wanted

Hey all,

I recently checked out an 01 S and posted a thread with some photos of oil on the rocker covers. I was very pleased to get some help from a few members and the general consensus was that the spark plug o-rings could have gone. If correct then such a diagnosis is fine with me as the DIY for that is not to hard.

Anyway I am now hoping to get some more thoughts on this car as it's still for sale and I feel it could potentially be a good buy (at the right price of course) for someone who is prepared put in some hard yards to fix a few things themselves then just enjoy driving the car as it was meant to be. So a few details:

● UK delivered Black on black 01 S with 240,000km or 150,000 miles (very high I know)
● Some options include 030 sport running gear, XLF sport exhaust system, 476 PSM option
● Updated head and tail lights to clear 03/04 parts.
● Allegedly €5000 has been spent on the car in the last two years. I have requested and am awaiting more info on this.
● Asking price of 6500 euro neg.

I have taken some more photos of this car which can be seen below. There are clearly quite a few areas in need of attention so I was hoping to get some more feedback from you guys and girls on what you see as being potential issues. I used to own an 04 S back in Australia until earlier this year before moving to Germany so I have some ownership experience to refer to. I was not able to drive the 01 but I was able to start it up. It turned on fine and had no issues idling and revving. All gears could easily be engaged when running too. Remote key worked fine, the convertible top opened and closed with no issues and the plastic rear window looked intact and not to faded. Interior and exterior lights all functioned and there was no CEL on. Interior condition was better than I expected for the mileage except for the drivers seat which was definitely a fair sign of 240,000km. To me it looks like what was a well optioned car that had a good life up until the last 100,000 km (60k miles) where things gave gone down hill.

My concern list so far:

● Rust and corrosion. UK cars are known for this. Clearly they're evident but how bad does it look?
● Brake Rotors are shot. I physically inspected all four and the lips were all quite sharp.
● Rear main seal looks to be leaking to me
● Wheels missing the centre crests
● Oil leak from the plugs (as previously discussed)
● Missing service history for the last 100,000km
● High mileage. Although I have read the high mile threads on here for a confidence boost...

At the moment the asking price of 6500 euro (approx $8500 US) is at the most, about twice what I think it's worth. RHD in Germany is not ideal but being from Australia I have the option of taking it home with me in a year or more if I wanted. So I'm keen to hear what you all think it would be worth, that's if you think it's worth anything at all!

qstoria is offline   Reply With Quote