Thread: 986 v 981
View Single Post
Old 10-02-2014, 06:49 AM   #13
Perfectlap

Someone here posted a 986,987 and 981 all parked next to each other.

This was a great photo because it showed since "pre-production" in 1995 to actual production in 1996 all the way up to 2014, the car remained very similar in proportions. Sure the front plant of the 981 and 991 is now wider (a good thing obviously), but it's not like other Porsches or BMWs (see M3) where the car over a similar length of time went from small sports car to full blown grand touring coupe.
It has to be one of the most consistent designs sold today. Take for instance the the first Corvettes and how they quickly became much bigger cars in their first two decades. Or say the 993 to 996 parked next to one another, and that was just from one series to the next.

I still think the Boxster design was the best thing Porsche has put out since 1964. There simply isn't one person who wouldn't turn a neck to look at it, either car enthusiast or not.

The 981 is very aggresive and sharp but I see it more as a collection of previous Porsche cars mashed up into one thing.
Panamera rear, Cayenne interior, Carrera GT sides and the front end, which I think is the best part, especially on the GTS doesn't really have a Porsche flavor to it all, more like they hired away the guy putting out the recent Ferrari desgins. Again not a bad thing, but the Boxster design pulled off the interesting trick of being an entirely ground breaking design while still looking like it came from a Porsche factory.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 10-02-2014 at 07:04 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote