View Single Post
Old 09-28-2014, 07:00 AM   #18
ep3_lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_T View Post
Have any of you guys had a good look at the underside of a car that is winter-driven in a northern climate on salted roads for several years? It gets pretty bad. Everything corrodes, the bolts seize to the point where you need a torch and a sawzall to get them off, the park brake seizes up, salt and gravel gets in to all the little crevices and starts the rusting process on the surrounding metal, and the plastic bits snap like potato chips in the cold. Add to that the increased wear of starting an engine (with no block heater) at those temperatures and basically you are cutting the life of your car in half. I sure hope you don't leave your 160 thermostat in for the winter and if you do, good luck getting enough heat to defrost the windshield.

There is a good reason for driving a "beater" in the winter and I cannot understand why anyone would subject one of these amazing cars to that kind of sht and abuse. I see people posting pics of their cars buried in snowbanks like it's something to be proud of! What is the matter with these people? Is it that they don't understand what they are doing to the car, or do they just have such little respect and appreciation for it that they simply don't care?

But hey - it's your car, you paid for it, so if you want to destroy it that's is your privilege. And the less of them there are, the more mine is worth.
I'd never drive it daily in those conditions, but occasional trips in the snow and salt are not really going to matter.