View Single Post
Old 09-23-2014, 12:35 PM   #6
seningen

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaps10 View Post
I appreciate the support. I failed to mention that I have signed up for Jake's "101" class in October, and he's pointed out his four day hands on class in December as a great follow up. I'll have to shake some money out of the family budget and burn some vacation time from work to get to that one, but I'm sure it's worth every dime.

Last night was a tedious one. I got started on the car later than I planned and ran into my first road block: the 10mm triple square tool is too long to fit between the bolt head and the differential housing. I'd seen it mentioned in other places (on the Pelican Parts write up comments) but thought it wasn't going to apply to me. Duh.

So I eye balled a good length and loaded it into one of my vises and out came the Dremel tool. It took a good 20 minutes and several of those thin grit wheels but I made it through and was able to test fit the tool into the bolt head.

A 13mm wrench just slips over the outside of the tool but of course there's nothing like enough leverage to break the bolt loose. Out came the closest cheater bar (the upper section of my floor jack handle). I could tell right away that the tool would want to climb up out of the head of the bolt and that I would only have about 1-2 tries before boogering it up completely.
A hammer stroke or two to set the tri-square and it usually comes out ok without stripping. Make sure the heads of the bolts are clean -- they can gunk up and
the tri-square doesn't set deep enough.

Note when you reassemble, check the torque specs -- and again
after 100 miles or so -- they can work themselves loose again.

Mike
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote