View Single Post
Old 09-23-2014, 08:26 AM   #19
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pominoz View Post
Hi, from the service history it looks like the car has only had 4 oil changes in it's life. The previous owner used 20K kilometres as his oil change limit, not the number of years. That's why it was a 4 year gap between the most recent oil changes. If the theories about leaving 'old' oil in the engine are correct then I might be in trouble :-)

On the PPI they did a compression test, not a leak down test as far as I know.
The compression test has 4 cylinders down 4% and 2 cylinders down 6% which isn't too bad I think.

Cheers.
4 oil changes in 55k miles? That's well beyond the limit of a mass market oil like Mobil 1. I would get a sample of your oil after 4K miles and send to Blackstone Labs for one of those simple oil analysis. Then move to a more expensive oil like Motul Xcess 8100 or Joe Gibbs DT40 and use a spin on oil filter, which makes sure you're only using filtered oil at all times. Do a second oil analysis after a few oil changes. And make sure you let the egine warm up with a good 20 minutes of driving before you start laying into the higher RPMs. Best to take it easy until you have better sense of the impact of such long stints with old oil.
Or ignore all of the above and roll the dice. It's kind of like investing in stocks, some people sleep fine others check the computer every 5 minutes.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote