View Single Post
Old 09-23-2014, 07:50 AM   #32
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laflamme02 View Post

FYI - I'll probably zero in on the 2003 instead of the 2002 because of the 8 extra bhp, upgraded interior, and most importantly the glass defogged rear window. I live in Maine, commute 60 miles a days, and will be using this car year round so I think the rear defog is the way to go.
I would not really make year the determining factor. First you should decide which engine you like the best, 2.5, 2.7 or 3.2. For street use, the popular convention of "I don't really need an S" is actually backwards. For the track and autocross the 2.5 and 2.7 are more than enough power for someone who isn't a pro. For the street imho the 3.2 is more useful because today regular sedans have a lot more power than they did in the late 90's and early 2000's. The extra ponies are handy when merging on the highway or passing a mini van taking up the passing lane.
Once you've decided on power, look for low mileage and keep in mind that Boxsters from 1997 - 1999 are basically the same; Boxsters from 2000 - 2004 are basically the same; Boxsters from 2005-2008 are basically the same; Boxsters from 2009-2012 are basically the same. Look for cars with the least amount of wear and tare within each series. For instance I'd much rather take a 2000 with 30K miles than 2004 with 55K miles even though the 2004 has a glass window and glove box. You can add a glass window from the aftermarket. Meanwhile racking up 20K less miles means you're that much further away from having to get new shocks, replacing the clutch, etc. Maintenance and repairs on these cars can get expensive quickly. A full suspension overhaul can easily run $3-$4K on parts alone. Porsches are reliable but they aren't very durable if you run them in extreme heat and cold weather. And a car that sits in a garage months at a time you really don't want. These engines need to run to stay well lubricated and to burn off the build up. The best is a car that is driven frequently and year round in nice mild weather. And if you can spring for a 2009, these are probably the best value because they have the newer engine technology that basically comes on the 2014 cars. While cars from before 2009 are all using engine technology from 1996, albeit with a big improvement in 2000. So 2000-2008 is basically the same engine and by getting a lower mileage older car from that series means you can take advantage of the depreciation while still getting a lightly used car. I think that's the sweet spot if you don't want to spend for 2009 and newer.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW

Last edited by Perfectlap; 09-23-2014 at 08:02 AM.
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote