View Single Post
Old 09-22-2014, 01:58 PM   #17
Cornstar

I must confess, I am an air-cooled guy. I've been a 993 owner for the past ten years. I believe snobbery directed to the boxster can be attributed to a few different reasons. My snobbery at the boxster was multilevel in nature. I first test drove a boxster when I was about 19 or 20. At this time, I was driving an E36 M3, never been to the track, and honestly was a marginal driver at best, but like any hot headed young male, I thought I was a great driver.
During the test drive, I did notice that the boxster handled well, but promptly dismissed it due to the lack of power. At my age and car experience (inexperience), all I could appreciate was the most basic of car specs; horsepower. My taste were not discerning enough to appreciate a car like the boxster. For the next 13 years, I looked down at the boxster. I picked up a 993 a few years later, slowly learning to drive such a rear biased car but again never having taken it to the track. Many years later, I've come to realize that my driving skills have a long way to go and that power really isn't everything. In fact, far from it. However, it wasn't until 21 days ago that I finally realized how true that really is.
Sept 1, 2014, I take my 993 to the track (laguna seca) for the first time, after 10 years of ownership and 80K+ miles. I am instantly humbled. Everything that I thought I knew about cars, what makes a great sports car, what makes a great sports car manufacturer, is finally put to practical use and as a result, is redefined. I suddenly have so much more respect for the capabilities of my now 18 year old car. I am in complete awe of its stellar, completely problem free track day performance. Most importantly, for the first time in my life, I realize that I am not even close to utilizing the full 285HP my car has. A HP figure that is just moderate by today's standards.
On my way home from the track, I decide that the 993 is too much car for me at my skill level, and with appreciating values, is something too valuable for me to learn and make mistakes on at the track. I need something more forgiving, something that will help me better understand car dynamics and control. Something even my ham-fisted-ness can become a better driver in.
Literally a week later, I find myself test driving a 97 2.5 boxster. I then find myself driving the boxster to the bank to pay for it in cash.
I can't wait to get this thing on the track. What a great little car. The "pretty good" handling i remember from 13 years ago is still there, but has somehow become sublime. The power is just enough to be fun. It's an honest car that makes you work for the smiles, but that makes it all the more satisfying.
Anti-boxster snobbery can hear its ugly head because of lack of experience, lack of sophisticated tastes, obsession with POWWWAHHHH, or most likely the simple fact that the boxster is the most affordable porsche and therefore the least ego-fulfilling. Whatever the case maybe, who cares. Let them thumb their noses at us. Haters gonna hate, after all. That just makes it all the more satisfying to bruise their egos when the opportunity presents itself.
Cornstar is offline   Reply With Quote