View Single Post
Old 09-22-2014, 01:37 PM   #4
seningen

"Plume of smoke" ...
My guess is your AOS failed -- nothing too serious.

No need for rebuild -- just replace the AOS and clean the intake and probably your MAF too.

If it has been sitting for a couple years -- oil could have easily run around the rings,
could be ovality issue, but not the end of the world. Could also be AOS related.

Do a compression and leak down test after fixing AOS and running for a bit.

Can't speak to other issues.

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by Listerofsmeg View Post
Hi all, first post here so go easy on me.

Yesterday i bought my first boxster as something different to fix up. The car was very cheap which of course means i has problems. I am mechanically minded and work on my own cars, tune etc. This is my first porsche though, although not my first boxer motor.

So, what i am after is a little advice from yourselves as to the potential issues that may be causing the issues i am having with the car.

Essentially i dont believe the car has been driven since 2012, so there will be a lot of crap that will be in the exhaust. The car when running was plooming smoke, which initially i suspected as headgasket failure, the car was also misfiring badly, certainly not running on all 6.

When i removed the exhaust headers (snapping off all but 4 of the exhaust bolts...doh!) there was plenty of oil in the exhaust ports. Now i know on a flat engine there is normally a little in the ports but when i tipped up the a small trickle of oil actually ran out of the pipe.....that cant be right...

Has anyone else experienced this before?

I am planning on removing and stripping the engine down, so i will know more then, however if anyone can suggest why there might be so much oil in the ports/exhaust it may speed up the diagnosis when it is on the floor.

I also have an issue in that the rear bootlid will not shut and lock. Any ideas how to sort that? or would a replacement lock mechanism be the way forward? it all looks in tact, so could be a cable issue?

Thirdly....i cannot select reverse gear other than via using the cables by the gearbox? is it just a case of adjusting the cables? or may it suggest something else? All other gears are selectable easily...

Thanks in advance for any help!! would be great to get this back on the road
seningen is offline   Reply With Quote