View Single Post
Old 09-19-2014, 03:09 AM   #17
husker boxster

In the very 1st session of the weekend, a pro driver shorten up the front of his Mustang. The flatbed driver paraded the carcass around the padock, maybe to provide a sanity check to the other drivers. Fortunately, that was the only contact during the w/e.

There was a guy in a yellow Cayman who wrecked rather badly in the corkscrew at Laguna in June. He went straight off in 8A, so the thought was he lost his brakes. He was uninjured but you couldn't say the same for his car. It was the third to last session of the day, so they cancelled the last 2 sessions, which was one of mine. I almost didn't care as I was debating about running it anyway. The Sun afternoon sessions were getting a bit wild and I figured the last run of the day could be dangerous with everyone trying to get their last hot laps in. My plan was to be the very last driver out so I wouldn't be in the middle of the carnage.

Which brings me to my point. I want to improve as a driver and I appreciate the suggestions. I put my work out there for suggestions, so people are welcome to comment. But I also have to drive my car home at the end of the day (in the case of Laguna, 1700 mi) and to work on Mon. So I don't mind driving at 85% in corners because that will get me home. I truly believe in slow in, fast out as a good preservation rule. Things can happen that are out of my control, but I don't want to wreck my car because I needed to got to 120 in turn 4 so I could get to 140 on the main straight. Especially after only 8 sessions at the track. I'm not that good. In the words of Clint Eastwood, "A man's gotta know his own limitations". I'm not saying I don't want to hear suggestions, I'm just saying I also have to balance my enthusiasm with my everyday life.

At least that's the plan until the green flag drops.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 09-19-2014 at 08:40 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote