View Single Post
Old 09-15-2014, 02:37 PM   #1
husker boxster

133 MPH at NASA Kansas Speedway

Sat & Sun NASA ran track days at Kansas Speedway. There were two HPDE groups that were combinations of Levels 1 & 2 in the first group and Levels 3 & 4 in the second group. I signed up as a level 2. Level 1 was novice drivers with an instructor. There were many other types of groups beside the DE groups. The event was well run and things generally ran on time. It was my first NASA event.

Kansas Speedway has a Daytona-style road course in the infield with a couple of road course straights that let you get to near triple digits. Also some very tough / tight corners. Like Daytona, the infield portion starts just before turn 1 and dumps you out in turn 2. The real fun was on the speedway portion. The back straight had a chicane to slow you down before turn 3. But you got a nice run thru 3, 4, and the main straight.

Driving thru the banked turns was awesome! You felt very planted. Having never done anything like this, I took my time building up speed thru those turns and down the main straight. The turn into the road course is 40mph, so you need to knock 85-90mph off your main straight speed. And there aren't good visual brake pts to assist either, so at times that turn was an adventure. But by late Sat, I saw one instance of 131. On Sun there were many 130, 131, 132s and a top of 133. It is amazing how much wind increases at 130 vs 120.

I'm sure there was more speed available, but the banks were intimidating. The safer barrier doesn't look very soft. Plus you had to shift to 5th midway thru turn 4, so you didn't want to be on the edge to take your hand off the wheel. I saw 109 thru 4 at one pt. Guess that would be an advantage w/ a PDK.

Here are a couple of my vids. 1st one is the last run on Sat. 2nd is last run on Sun. Quite a bit of improvement in 1 day. Take it easy on me, I've only been DEing for 3 yrs (probably 9 events total at most). Enjoy!

NASA Kansas Speedway Porsche Cayman 09/13/14 - YouTube

NASA Kansas Speedway Porsche Cayman Day 2 09/14/14 - YouTube
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote