View Single Post
Old 09-04-2014, 07:21 PM   #1
austinkthompson

Question Very Odd Boxster Problem

Okay, so this is a pretty long story so stay with me.

I recently bought a 1999 Porsche Boxster. It's beautiful, in incredible condition, but the transmission is a bit odd. Here's a list of all it's little oddities.

When I pull up to a stop sign, my Porsche idles in 2nd gear (which is normal). But when I stop completely, the car is actually in neutral for about 5 seconds, then switches into 2nd gear. So if I pull up to a stop, I can't go anywhere until my transmission sets in again. Mind you, my car is an automatic.

If I'm accelerating and switch out of second gear (automatically) the car sits in neutral for a second or so and then slams into 3rd gear. Like someone is dropping the clutch into 3rd gear.

If I pull up in a drive through, my car stays in second gear, but I'm not moving. If I don't move for a long enough period of time, 2-4 minutes, the car has a transmission error. It's hard to explain, but my car says I'm in 2nd gear, but acts like i'm in 5th gear trying to move. I basically have to gas it all I can, running 5-6K RPM just to move. And then the car gives me a transmission error and I have to turn my car off and back on and it works fine then.

Lastly, when I'm in 5th gear, holding a steady speed of around 40-50 MPH and around 2K-3K RPM, the RPM wobbles. It'll wobble between about 100 RPM. I can hear it so I know it's not an issue with the indicator, and I can feel it cause the car slows down just a tad bit and then picks up again as it wobbles.

So, do any of you have any idea what my problem could be? If it's any help, I bought the car from a mechanic in my town (he works on foreign cars like Mercedes, BMW and Porsche's) and rebuilt the transmission on my car, which is why I think it may have been an issue with rebuilding it. But I still can't figure out what it is that is causing this problem. It's consistent too, the car is always like this, ever since I've had it it hasn't run correctly.

Hope some of you may be able to help me or point me in the right direction!

Also, here's a photo of my Boxster just so y'all can see it. :)

Last edited by austinkthompson; 09-04-2014 at 07:22 PM. Reason: Placement of photo.
austinkthompson is offline   Reply With Quote