Thread: hardtop
View Single Post
Old 09-01-2014, 10:23 AM   #4
RedTele58

Quote:
Originally Posted by OklahomaBoxster View Post
Looking for a factory porsche hardtop for the winter. Car already has the mounting points. Now just have to actually find a hardtop. Does anyone know any aftermarket manufacturers or where to find an OEM? any info, hardtop pics, pricing info is greatly appreciated.
OB - since we're only about 40 miles away from each other, I'll share my efforts on finding a hard top. As you know, we aren't in the middle of Porsche central...

I looked locally (OKC, Tulsa, and DFW) for several years and didn't find anything, or wasn't fast enough to grab one when I did. Then, this summer, I found an Arctic Silver top in Dallas (listed here on the board) that I bought. Less than two weeks later I found another top in Tulsa (Orient Red Metallic) that I snagged. Then, two weeks ago a black one was on Craigslist in Dallas (missed it) and last week I found another black one about 1 1/2 hour east of Tulsa (missed it too).

So... they are very hit/miss around here. When you find one, move fast and don't be afraid to drive to get it.

Check the sale board here and on other forums. I look on Craigslist everyday and I have a standing order w/ several of the salvage yards if they get one. Also - if you find a car for sale that has one, either private or dealer, call them up and ask if they will sell the top separate. A used dealer may jump on something like that, since the top doesn't add that much value to the car for most people.

Keep looking - you'll find one. Plan to pay $1,000-1,300 when you find one around here.

Also - you say you have the mounting points - are the spinlocks installed? You'll need them to secure the roof.

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/50976-hard-top.html

Pelican Technical Article: Installing the Boxster Hardtop and Installation Kit - 986 / 987

Good luck,

Rick