View Single Post
Old 08-30-2014, 04:33 PM   #22
amagalla

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
I guess the big question is are you interested in preventing wear of the aluminum parts in the engine or cleaning carbon buildup caused by low diesel cetane levels. Diesel oils have high levels of detergent because diesel fuels burn dirty. So much so that it removes the ZDDP and other film creating additives that aluminum high rev engine need to prevent wear. At least you'll have a very clean engine with scored cylinders, gaulded lifter carriers, and cam bearing ways

So it sounds like you are (sarcastically) saying that you don't like this oil because of the high level of detergents and low zn, p and ZDDP it contains.

5W40 MOBIL 1 TURBO DIESEL TRUCK synthetic
zinc = 1211 ppm
phos = 1168 ppm
ZDDP = 1100 ppm

These seem like fairly solid number to me. Not the highest I've seen, but not bad.

It seems that people here are emotional about oil. This "It has to be the best stuff or you might as well set your engine on fire" attitude is not helpful when someone is trying to ask a simple question. Honestly, I'm not asking if it's OK to put the cheapest dino oil in my car and expect it to run 100k miles without changing it.

Shame on you people.
All I want is a simple answer. Is the Mobil1 5W40 turbo diesel oil usable? If you don't have a useful, constructive response, please don't waste your time (or mine) by posting.

Tony