View Single Post
Old 08-26-2014, 07:47 PM   #17
Topless
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebell914 View Post
I respectfully disagree. Knowing there was a CEL and it has been reset, to state there are no known issues is false. While what the exact issue is may be up for debate, the fact remains, there is a known issue.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion.

No one is suggesting that there are no known issues (your words not mine). 13 year old cars always have an issue or two. My car has had a dozen CELs over 9 years of ownership, 50k miles, 100+ track days, and all were minor and cost little or nothing to repair. I don't view the CEL as a sign of death or disease. Just a highly sensitive indicator that something needs attention.

If a car is being sold AS-IS the seller makes no warranty or representation that the car is flawless or AS-NEW. It is simply a used car that runs well. A wise buyer understands this and investigates to satisfy himself that the car will or will not meet his needs.

For me, a CEL including this one is a relatively minor maintenance issue that falls well within the scope of "good running order" and would not deter me as a buyer. It may simply be that a mouse chewed the sensor harness, grounding it temporarily, tripping the CEL. It happens. We don't know the answer at this point but this car certainly doesn't have $3500 worth of imminent repairs needed to meet the standard of "good running order". It runs just fine.

YMMV