View Single Post
Old 08-25-2014, 12:09 PM   #2
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomkreiner View Post
So, after 6 weeks away on business, etc., I returned to a VERY dead Optima battery in my '02 Boxster.

So dead, that when I connect any power source to the emergency power connector in the fuse block, the horn sounds constantly. After some five minutes, however, it quiets down significantly.

Things I tried: 14 V jump box - fully charged, jumper cables, battery charger, hi amps, low amps, 75 A boost, turning key to unlock, and lock / unlock, turning ignition on. Removing fuses, etc.

After the horn quieted, I left my 2 A battery charger on it for three hours... To no avail. What do I do, any ideas? Without taking a wrecking bar to the hood, I have no idea as to how I can open it to service the battery.

Please let me know what I should do next. --- before having car towed to Dealer$hip.

Thanks in advance...
If you have access to a Ctek maintainer, many models have a "recondition" mode which will pull severely discharged AGM batteries back from the brink.

Plug the Ctek into your lighter socket and follow the unit's directions, and the next time you go away for six weeks, leave the car on a Ctek maintainer.