View Single Post
Old 08-25-2014, 04:45 AM   #1
bobbeck

Hello! New owner and introduction.

Hello folks,

New 986 owner here, 3 days now. I'm pretty sure I did everything wrong while purchasing this motor but here's my story. Been doing on and off research on these cars for several years now. I recently sold my 2007 SLK and wanted to jump in to the Boxster hunt again. After a few weeks of of searching in a 300 mile radius I found one in the color combo I wanted and bugged the seller for almost 2 weeks with picture requests and endless questions. Started negotiating a price prior to seeing the car in person and finally took a 170 mile ride west to bring it home. The car represented well in person, all the flaws (minor) were well documents in my picture requests, nothing shocking there. 104,000 miles, some service history, went through the Manheim auction a little over a month ago and sold for $6K.

Immediately the top would not retract ( naturally this was the FIRST time this happened according to the seller). It eventually did after fiddling with the micro switch at the latch.

Took it for a 45 minute test drive and was able to get it on a lift after. No leaks, worn suspension components, exhaust was good, everything looked like it was there.

Clutch is stiff but catches fine and doesn't slip or chatter. Little squeak coming from the back I can hear with my left ear when depressed... walk away??? Maybe since I researched the price of replacement and the components needed. My mechanic will give me the good bad and ugly news soon enough.

Well, We settled on a price of $7,000 and home I went ( in the rain!). Put about 300 miles on it so far. Things I noticed, creaky suspension, top works fine now, clutch seems fine other than it being stiff, accelerates, tracks and stops fine, tool kit and owner's manual present, 2 mismatched tires in the back (brand), AC blows COLD.

No here's where stupidity comes into play. This is the first Boxster I drove, no point of reference to know what good and bad cars feel like, wanted to negotiate to sub $7K for the top malfunction (seller wouldn't budge). Asking $8000, offered $6500 settled at $7000. Let the fun begin.

About me, 40 years old, owned about that many cars over the years, currently own an A3 2.0T for daily duties, M-B 190E 2.3 16, MK1 Golf Convertible, and now the 986.

Most of the searches about this car came back to this forum, looks like a ton of useful info.

...and here it is

bobbeck is offline   Reply With Quote