View Single Post
Old 08-22-2014, 09:09 AM   #36
Giller

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
I'd be curious to see how how our M96 fairs on reliability vs other high performance motors from Porsche as well as maybe BMW

I do think many are primary/DD. In all the reading I have done, it does seem that cars that are driven often and harder have fewer problems.

Jake, do you have any empirical data you can share? On a tangent, you have mentioned many modes of failure, I for one am interested in what that list would be, or do we have to eagerly wait for your book?
That would be an interesting challenge - but how to measure reliability? Is it simply the fact it starts every time, or is it more related to cost over time or how many times it has to visit the shop/worked on annually? Tough call.

I for one did a lot of research before buying my Box and the one element that did keep popping up in almost everything I read was 'reliability'. These cars, whether new or 12 years old are still considered to be some of the most reliable, period.

Besides, for all this IMS talk - it still could be worse. How many GM cars have they recalled in the past few years? And how many died before they did the recall? So far as I know - no one died of an IMS failure.