View Single Post
Old 08-21-2014, 06:56 PM   #32
plus3db

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectlap View Post
I'm not calling your familiarity into question simply your desire to steer towards controversy already. The topics you raise have been discussed many times with predictably heated responses.

Don't punch the gift horse in the mouth. By your own admission JR is an expert on our engines why don't you just take his posts for what they're worth.
Fair comment, and Jake does provide information not available many other places. Maybe its his no BS manner

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlmodelt View Post
I agree...EVERYONE of these engines will not crater. I thought I heard numbers like 1%, to 5%? depending upon the year and engine...as an engineer...I love finding the REAL relationship of data associated with engine failure...I have the utmost respect for Jake. So, I'm not pissing with him...I'd love to know for real the results of a root cause analysis.
Exactly!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crod View Post
We discussed this a couple times here and I even posted, years ago, some of the production numbers from Porsche for the Boxster and we "guesstimated" the number of failures. Given the numbers, in the 100s of 1000s, the actual percentage of cars with the IMS failure is certainly low. Sure many of the dealers and indies I talk to have seen the issue but again, in very low numbers compared to the total number of cars produced. From the top of my head around 160,000 986s were produced. Certainly less than 2% had IMS issues.
The lawsuit/settlement with PCNA will probably show way less claims than that.
I can bet Jake did not work on more than 3,200 engines with IMS failures.

Keep in mind people normally come to forums to discuss problems, and rarely to say how great they had their cars running for 10 years without a single issue.

Jake is indeed a great guy, top notch mechanic/inventor and an authority on M96 engines. One of my buddies attended his class on the engine and was extremely pleased and impressed. That comes from someone that was a Porsche Master mechanic for many years and left to open his own shop.

CR
Yes, and as I said before, he may even be the #1 expert

Also, its not just 986 engines, it is some 996 engines as well, so the number of M96's is higher
plus3db is offline   Reply With Quote