View Single Post
Old 08-21-2014, 06:17 PM   #30
crod

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by plus3db View Post
While I may not have many posts, that does not mean I have not read a lot of the threads.

I'm not trying to start an argument at all. I'm just calling them as I see them.
The fact is, he has an extreme amount of knowledge on the M96 and I just can't believe that all is bad with the engine. Porsche has shipped 100's of thousands of them in various forms and they all will self destruct?

I am just asking a question that I guess too many are afraid to ask.

He is an expert, but IMHO, he almost always see's the glass as half empty and focuses on fear and and destruction. Lets fact facts, he does profit from repairing and building motors. I'm not saying that is a bad thing nor is he not entitled to profit from his knowledge and research. Very much the contrary.
We discussed this a couple times here and I even posted, years ago, some of the production numbers from Porsche for the Boxster and we "guesstimated" the number of failures. Given the numbers, in the 100s of 1000s, the actual percentage of cars with the IMS failure is certainly low. Sure many of the dealers and indies I talk to have seen the issue but again, in very low numbers compared to the total number of cars produced. From the top of my head around 160,000 986s were produced. Certainly less than 2% had IMS issues.
The lawsuit/settlement with PCNA will probably show way less claims than that.
I can bet Jake did not work on more than 3,200 engines with IMS failures.

Keep in mind people normally come to forums to discuss problems, and rarely to say how great they had their cars running for 10 years without a single issue.

Jake is indeed a great guy, top notch mechanic/inventor and an authority on M96 engines. One of my buddies attended his class on the engine and was extremely pleased and impressed. That comes from someone that was a Porsche Master mechanic for many years and left to open his own shop.

CR
crod is offline   Reply With Quote