View Single Post
Old 08-16-2014, 03:55 PM   #10
itsnotanova

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.fro View Post
I think it depends on price and your plans...
If the price is low and you're going racing, I think a salvage 986 could be a great deal, esp if you plan on building your own engine.
If you know what you're looking at, there's no reason to be afraid of a salvage title. I buy cars from the insurance auctions all the time and you would be shocked at the cars they total. Boxsters are on the top of the list of cars that really have nothing really wrong with them but are written off for salvage or worse "parts only". A lot of people either leave their top down or forget to keep the drain hole clear of debris when it rains hard. When that happens, the immobilizer under the drivers seat gets fried and the car won't start. I see a lot of cars get totaled because the bumper cover gets ripped off or something really simple like that..

I bought that car and I couldn't find one ounce of damage to it but the insurance had it sold off as flood damage. It was branded parts only, so I couldn't have retitled it if I wanted to. It only had 43,000 miles and was in amazing shape. Whoever owned it took wonderful care of it.

Last edited by itsnotanova; 08-16-2014 at 04:22 PM.
itsnotanova is offline   Reply With Quote