View Single Post
Old 08-15-2014, 05:15 AM   #1
onewhippedpuppy

1997 Porsche Boxster - Lightweight Base Model, Super Clean, Records From New

Summary: 1997 Porsche Boxster, 137,522 miles, 5-speed manual, Guards Red over Black, lightweight base model car, very clean inside and out, records since new. Options - power mirrors, power locks, power windows, ice cold A/C, rear wind deflector. $8750 OBO.

This is what Porsche intended the Boxster to be - lightweight, simple, just a pure driver's car. If you are looking for a nice honest driver quality 986 to enjoy on the backroads or take racing, they don't get much better than this. The 1997 is the lightest Boxster made, and this base model car is about as lightweight as they get. I will attempt to describe, in excruciating detail, the interior, exterior, and mechanical features and condition of this Boxster. I am an anal-retentive car enthusiast and an engineer, and believe in honesty above all else when selling a car. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask. I have 64 high resolution DSLR photos as well as maintenance since new summarized in an Excel file, both available via email.

Exterior: As you can see from the pictures, the exterior condition is fantastic. The Guards Red paint is deep and glossy, the body is very straight, and the 16" wheels are not curbed. Top condition is also very good, the rear window is not torn/cracked, the top has zero tears, the top power mechanism works perfectly, and the top fits well around the windows. The car is weather tight, no leaks in the rain or when washing it. I can find zero evidence of accident repairs or paintwork, it appears to be a good honest no-stories car.

Interior: Very nice inside as well, there are many cars with half the mileage that don't look this good. Carpets are very clean with no stains or tears, only wear on the driver's side heel pad (hidden by mat). Same goes for the seats, the leather is soft and does not have any cracks/splits, the cushions are not flattened, and they overall only show normal wear. Porsche OEM floor mats look nearly new. Power locks, mirrors, windows, radio, climate control, and all gauges work well. Air conditioning is very nice and cold. Zero dash cracks. The original 5-speed shift knob is in good condition, and the shift boot is brand new.

Mechanical: Lots of recent maintenance has been done, and I have records going back to brand new. I have recently replaced the front cooling fans, performed a cooling system drain and refill, cleaned the radiators and condensers, replaced the LH door latch assembly, replaced the front sway bar links, cleaned the MAF, replaced the tires with Firestone Firehawk UHP summer tires, and performed a full tune up with air filter, pollen filter, spark plugs, fuel filter, serpentine belt, oil change, and brake fluid flush/bleed. At 130k the clutch and rear main seal were replaced, and past repairs include the water pump, secondary air check valve, air/oil separator, ignition switch, coolant reservoir, thermostat, and much more. It's just a great driving original car. Steering is excellent, no vibration or looseness. Brakes are strong with a nice firm pedal. The engine runs great, no check engine lights, it holds a solid temperature even with the A/C on, nice solid idle, very smooth and strong. No leaks, no smoking. The transmission shifts well with no grinding between gears, and no second gear pop-out as happens on some 986/996. No aftermarket modifications that I can identify, I believe it to be a 100% stock car.

Flaws: I believe in full disclosure, here are the flaws from my extremely picky perspective. Please note that many of these are slight, but I want to describe any potential issues so buyers are not surprised. The paint is very nice, but there are light swirl marks visible under florescent lighting. Two very slight dents in the hood, body is otherwise dent free. Scratches on both exterior mirrors. Light scratches in the wheel paint, no major scratches from curbs. Heel wear on the driver's side carpet near the pedals, which is covered by the floor mat. Very slight yellowing of the headlights. Plastic rear window has some haze but zero cracking and is still weather tight. Brakes can be a little squeaky at low speeds but still have usable pad thickness remaining. As you would expect of a car that's been driven (and not repainted), it has moderate rock chips on the nose and light rock chips on the hood and mirrors. Passenger side front fender liner is a little loose along the front edge but doesn't rub. Light paint spiderwebbing on one place on the front bumper, one place on the rear.

All in all, this is just a nice honest car that's been driven and maintained. If your goal is a great looking and affordable Porsche to enjoy, they don't get much better. I have done my best to describe this car in excruciating detail, but please don't hesitate to ask questions. 64 high resolution photos and an Excel maintenance summary file are available upon request. Clean KS title, ready to sell. My email address is mattjessupbba at gmail.com.

[URL=http://s195.photobucket.com/user/onewhippedpuppy/media/1997%20Porsche%20Boxster/DSC_0759_zpsab112d8f.jpg.html]
onewhippedpuppy is offline   Reply With Quote