View Single Post
Old 08-14-2014, 11:49 AM   #2
RandallNeighbour

I still have my factory bumper covers on my car, but toyed with the idea of replacing them a while back and did some research.

Lots of the aftermarket ones you'll find that are reasonably priced are made from fiberglass, which is easy for a body shop to sand and tweek to fit your car perfectly. They can even do some fiberglass work on them if they're not quite right.

HOWEVER, they're brittle and not very forgiving. Bump a curb stop (and you just might because the aftermarkets are lower and more aggressive looking) and it will crack the fiberglass and off to the body shop you go for a repair and respray.

Now the alternative is to purchase a much more expensive aftermarket polyurethane bumper or a factory bumper off a newer model. I think your 1999 can accept a bumper from a 2002 or earlier, base or S model.

If I were you, I'd get yours repaired at a good quality shop that knows how to repair poly bumpers or get a salvaged one and respray it. If you live anywhere near Houston, Texas I have one I will sell you cheap to get it out of my garage.

Hope this helps!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote