View Single Post
Old 08-05-2014, 04:32 PM   #9
Box4two

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Box4two View Post
Let me start by saying I love my Boxster.
So I was really excited to have found a 2000 with only 48000 Kms. and the appearance really shows it. But I'm quickly realizing this also means most upgrades/ issues weren't done due to minimal use of this car.
After the first week of everyday use, I got the 1128 1130 cel, that after 2 wks of fiddling with cleaning of Maf sensor and checking for vacuum leaks, got resolved by installing a new Maf sensor.
Last week we had some heavy rains, on my way to work I noticed water droplets coming in around the window stitching, and off the top frames, when I touched the actual top, it was soaked throughout, I know the previous owner kept it garage and covered, and I doubt he ever drove it in the rain, therefore never bothered applying protectant on it.
I have since sprayed it with 303 and it now beads the water off nicely and the interior is nice and dry.
I read up on the convertible top issues, and checked my car and noticed I have the original red plastic push rod ends, so new ones have been ordered as preventative maintenance.
Last night on my way home I stopped for groceries, when I got back in the car I couldn't turn the ignition switch, it felt jammed. I moved the steering wheel back and forth and managed to turn the ignition, went home and sprayed a little lubricant in it, but it still feels like it's tight, so I've now read that this is another common issue and I better order a new ignition switch.
So again, I'm not really disappointed, just noting that sometimes low usage is not necessarily better.
Update:
still loving the Boxster, last week I noticed when it's hot, it starts fine, but idles rough for less than a minute and when I scanned it, I got misfire codes on 2 of the cylinders.
Since it's 14 yrs old but low mileage I'm guessing the coil packs have never been changed so I ordered new coils(6) and will do plugs and tubes at the same time.
Yesterday my top overlapped the side rail a few times, found the Velcro strap had come off, so I learned too sew, and turned the finger spring around as well, it's working fine now.

Despite these little hiccups, it's still music to my ears when that flat 6 starts singing after 4000 rpm! :dance:
1977 Lotus Esprit
Honey it's an investment!
Box4two is offline   Reply With Quote