View Single Post
Old 08-04-2014, 09:29 PM   #674
Nine8Six

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coaster View Post
I'm so sad I can't say I got these from you (still saving the fun money budget). Happy Pelican will have them.
Ah you are still going to get them from me! In fact, the one who will machine, hand polish, anodize, laser etch and assemble them will be myself. (lol "by myself"... sounds like a famous scammer quote?!)

The way it will work is the (easy) machining bits will be outsourced to a friend's shop (e.g. adapter kit, cap, screw, shroud, composites) however, the bezel's precision machining, polishing, anodizing, laser, assembling stays in-house. That way I can continue to assure QC and needless to say save us all a ton of $ by being able to do this part ourselves. For info; precision machining on a thin-walled part made of highest grade aluminum, involving 2.5D, 3D, 4th multi axis both milling & lathe operations, it can quickly go up sky high in price :/ Some figures to put things in perspective: the bezel work alone (outsourced) cost $130 each (that is $260 for L&R, at "manufacturer price" with min qty requirements). It's brutal but the reality.

So that said, I am still going to have to work my cute little butt overtime to get those out on the market at a reasonable price. Lucky me I have a good buddy here who is helping me out but he is yet to be 'as passionate' as myself doing this kind of work (after hours, relaxing, bg metal cutting machine music, etc). Not his kind of thing (he like sofas) but perhaps when we'll start getting paid things may change, hoping for the best lol

RE Pelican Deal. Well, I have to admit I'll eternally be grateful to them. They are being kind here. Especially to me, but also to the crowd here and to other Porsche enthusiasts. Correct me if I am wrong but it wouldn't be the first time the team @ Pelican support a member's product. They have done it in the past and the message I got was they will continue to do so for any product/trick/tool/whatever they believe our little pcar community could benefit of. They are great people working there, ... definitely nothing to do with the other typical stone cold car part $hops!

Price-wise. Let's start by admitting that this clandestine operation had to stop (not a 'hobby' anymore lol). Some additional overhead will be required so the price may be slightly higher than previously advertised. I also have to get the product shipped out using legal means, using a registered trading co, paying my Chinese export taxes (cheap, 4% lol), and Pelican Co has to pay for storage, logistics, man I pass so many other things. The good news is these guys at Pelican have the ability to order few-more-than-one kit at a time so the prices gets so much more relaxed (thanks Pelican for that, not me. Their idea). So at the end, they are NOT going to be much more expansive than now, or whatever it will cost more it will be plenty justified, legal and fair I think

^ side comment... please do remember those kits shaves min 10 years off the look & feel of the Boxster/996s. Now that alone, to me, is priceless

As soon as the catalogue links turns up you bet I'll post them up bright red with flashy disco balls and all

A true 986forum community effort, inspiring! Thanks x1,000,000