View Single Post
Old 08-01-2014, 10:44 AM   #12
crod

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 78F350 View Post
Hi, I'm new to the forum. I've been tinkering with cars most of my life from a 71 VW in high school, 80s BMWs, to a current 'collection' of 90s Hondas. I plan to purchase a 97-03 Boxster in the following months. I am at a level now where I am comfortable doing anything short of machine shop work on the Hondas.

I have yet to open the engine cover of a Boxster and see what's inside. Given a shop manual and a good set of mechanic's tools, is it much different from working on any other car?

I have seen some 'rollers' listed for 3.5k to 5k. I'd love to pull one apart. Is there a healthy enough used parts market to where I could easily break even parting one out?

Thanks
Quick story here. Before owning a Boxster I had never worked on anything, on any sort of engine powered thing, be it a lawn mower or a car. Last year got no compression on Cylinder 5. Took the engine out, rebuilt it and put it back in the car expecting a massive explosion and all sorts of metal grinding noises. Damn thing fired up and car has never been better than what it is today. It is a dream to drive and sounds amazing.
If I did (sure, the great 19-year old son helped a LOT on the rebuild, more like 90% of it...) anyone can do it. GO FOR IT.

CR
crod is offline   Reply With Quote