View Single Post
Old 07-29-2014, 04:26 AM   #662
Edreamsz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nine8Six View Post
?!?!?

Yes I know its not your kit. Bat's car problem made me realized this already. I was under the impression you were following our conversation

Check your voltage regulator "under load" it should read about 15.x volts (needs load tester, not a volt meter!). Your indy should be able to help with that. Those (brushes) gets tired with time, especially after 10+ years

Others, as important: diode, alternator pulleys, loose serpentine strap, bad battery.

There are two phases to your ballasts' power up sequence:
- PhaseI: igniters (max load at 7amps for 1~2secs)
- PhaseII: stabilization (max load 3.5amp)

When phaseI occurs, it simply drains the car system's current. If the car charging system is not up to specs, you will "certainly" get unstable voltages (and of course, a nice shiny BATTERY MIL to tell you all about that!).

That's why the problem doesn't replicate when you switch on/off your lights i.e when phaseI is already hot and doesn't need as much current to ignite.

Fix the charging system and all should shine like a diamond again
^ Quote from my indy who've helped me out on this one, and who've seen a few pcars having the same issues as you are having now

Good luck
Yes, I was (of course!) following the thread but already ordered and received the other ballasts. My next stop is a load test to test my charging system. Will give an update this week!
Edreamsz is offline   Reply With Quote