View Single Post
Old 07-27-2014, 02:04 PM   #1
Manuell

DIY LED third brake light retrofit

After i saw the aftermarket LED third brake lights for the 986 I decided to make my own.

The original 986 third light only lights up in the middle portion which is nice, however i wanted mine to light up all the way and with LED technology.

photo IMG_37961339024162.jpg

The portion that does not light up is made of the same red plastic, obviously there is no reflector behind it and is covered with silver paint which make it look good. Is still a lens with texture. The hardest part of this is removing this paint. I tried to dremel it, use paint solvent but i wanted to preserve the optical properties of this lens so i scraped the paint (while i was watching TV ) carefully with a screw driver . It is insane but is the safest.

I use a led strip, but I did not want it to look aftermarket. I want a OEM look and bright result. I use this led strip.This leds are brighter, with a wide light beam and close between each other. I bought a LED strip at Autozone originally but this LEDs where not bright enough, i am sure they are fine for other use but not for this.

photo xenon-white-led-strip-5m-bright-5050-smd.jpg

Picture don't make justice on how it looks. All i can say is that they are brighter that the old incandescent setup and visible when is very sunny outside. Because of the nature of this led strip (Wide light beam) no reflector is necessary. The OEM lens diffuses the light and eventhoug you can see the each individual LED it looks in my opinion very good.

Happy Boxtering !!

photo IMG_9461.jpg

photo IMG_9459.jpg
Manuell is offline   Reply With Quote