View Single Post
Old 03-23-2006, 05:42 AM   #12
986Jim

Here is where I'm slightly confused. Egas is drive by wire as it's commonly called. Basically a motor that controlls the throttle vs. a cable like the 97-99 cars have.

I swap 1.8T motors into older VW's often and they have drive by wire throttle bodies. The older VW's run a regular throttle cable. So we pull off the drive by wire throttle body and put the original throttle body that was on the old motor on to the new motor and hook the wire back up with a custom mounting bracket to hold the cable. Big deal. Hell I used an Integra GSR throttle body on a 1.8T motor into a Rabbit to make it work (and it does quite well, low 12's in the 1/4) with a small adaptor plate.

Why would we convert the car to drive by wire instead of just swapping out the throttle body to a normal style that will hook upto the cable we already have? Will the 2.5 and 2.7 TB not fit on a 3.4L motor? Why not just machine an adaptor plate then that will make it fit? An hour on a mill can whip that up sort of like hub adaptors to use wheels that have a different bolt pattern on your car (say 5x100 to 5x112 conversion) type of thing?
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote