View Single Post
Old 07-23-2014, 07:20 AM   #8
BYprodriver

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawanabear View Post
I definitely plan on changing the oil far more often - I'm normally way better than this, but it's been a weird year and time has slipped.

However a few of those words and names of parts did go over my head - this won't be a DIY as I'm more of a driver than a fixer. I can do head lights, tail lights, change tires, wax and wash - a little more than your "stereotypical" female, but not much.

I just replaced the clutch and put new rubber on the tires and a few other things - about $6500.00 worth within the past 2 years. An engine tear-down sounds expensive and I'm now at the crossroads of if it's worth it or not? I'm also not sure if the shop is going for a cash grab - they DID tell me it would cost $38.00 plus the cost of a bulb to change a tail light. I bought 2 bulbs at the store for $4.99 and had it changed in 6 minutes.
Maybe this shop is not experienced with late model watercooled Porsche's. If they don't know the camshaft wear pads are the most likely source for the plastic debris & don't require a full engine tear-down to replace. Once the debris was discovered in the oil filter next step should be to remove the oil sump pan to check for debris there & in the oil-pump pickup screen. As for changing bulbs etc. If labor rate is $100 hr $38 is about right since they charge for their time, weather cleaning the windows or removing a engine.