View Single Post
Old 07-21-2014, 08:23 AM   #2
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt123 View Post
Hi all,

Was driving along merrily on Saturday when a message flashed up on my dash to check my engine coolant level. The light next to the temp guage was flashing fortunately I was close to home at the temperate never went above the normal temperature.

I waited for the engine to cool before checking the levels and it appears very low, below minimum which leads me to the questions where has it gone as I understand it is supposed to last a lifetime.

As a first step I was going to top the levels with a 50/50 mix of Porsche approved coolant and distilled water and monitor it to see if levels reduced. I bought the car second hand so not sure what levels were like before although it was serviced 6 months ago.

I have read a lot about ensuring you don't mix different colour of coolant. I was slightly confused as mine appears to be a greeny colour when all the coolant i can find online appears to be red. Any idea why this would be the case?

Any advice on the above or anything i should check/try would be appreciated.

cheers,

Matt
Porsche reformulated their coolant some years back, and made it a pinkish red color so you can tell which is which. Fortunately, the pink stuff is fully compatible with the earlier green stuff.

I would closely monitor the system, looking for tell tale puddles under the car, wetness in the rear boot near the tank, etc. If nothing appears, and the coolant level drops again, I would have the system pressure tested.