View Single Post
Old 07-17-2014, 05:24 PM   #13
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
My car was built in may of 2002. Not sure where that puts me, but I'm guessing DME 7.8?

My fuel trims are about normal. At idle, I'm seeing values between -3.0% and 3.0%. I don't have any fancier values than those, but I'm guessing they should be around that. However I should mention that at startup I initially got some sensor readings at 17 or 18% which I believe indicates lean? Is this normal on a cold start? When the car warms up and regulates idle the trims return to near zero?

I should also add this code does not show up until approximately 400 miles later. Both times this happened it was a long long drive and many starts before the code appeared. Removing oil cap on warm engine causes idle to change and car to bounce a bit, so can I assume that my vacuum system is in order?
I don't know how you are determining your idle adaption fuel trims, but here is a good example of an early Boxster recently discussed here:

It is not unusual for a code, particularly an emissions code, to show up only after some miles. The code is actually resident as "pending" until the DME is sure it is for real.