View Single Post
Old 07-17-2014, 11:39 AM   #6
Perfectlap

Quote:
Originally Posted by cas951 View Post
$600 labor is a deal compared to what I'm being quoted here in my area. The first shop I called wanted $800 labor cost for standard vinyl window and $900 labor cost for glass window. This is for a new Conv top installation. They did offer to sew in a new Vinyl window for $900 labor and $100 for parts. I thought it was rediculous.

The cheapest shop I found was $750 installation for a new top and $550 just to sew in a new window.
replacing the window is really not worth it. If the stitching is not sealed, you'll get drip leak from the new stitch holes in the new window. I found this out the hardway.
I drove an hour plus to have the window replaced and on the drive back it started to rain and I could already see the droplets forming all along the bottom stitching. You could hit that with silicone but the other issue is that after 10+ years the canvas has stretched and the plastic has to layed out precise to fit into that contour otherwise you'll get an obvious and unsightly crease above and below the new plastic window.
With this much age you'll also need new seals once the canvas top is removed to re-install the new plastic window. They get loose and brittle after removal. After the new window was installed I noticed that the canvas began to rip along the bottom edge near the clamshell.

Save your $500-$600 towards a new top with glass.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote