View Single Post
Old 03-22-2006, 10:52 AM   #5
blinkwatt

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
Quote:
Originally Posted by cplus
So it's more cost effective to replace than repair? Wow. The impication is that the cost to repair a P-car motor must then be greater than the $8k-12k to replace. This leads to two new questions. First, is it the cost of parts or labor that is prohibitive? I'm assuming it's labor, but I've also noticed a dearth of aftermarket motor parts so that may be a factor.

On a more fundamental level, I'm wondering if Porsche designed these motors without much thought to ease of repair. If so, what will owners do when their cars all get to the 150k/200k/250k mile range when a major engine overhaul would be in order? A new motor would be far more expensive than the value of the car, but the owner would take a bath if he/she tried to sell the car sans engine. A dilemma indeed.

(I'd probably jump in and tear the engine down myself, but I may not be entirely sane. )
I beleive an used low mileage engine can be had for $2k-4k,depending on the year. Installation can run from $1k-$2k,so it isn't insanely expensive.