View Single Post
Old 03-22-2006, 10:43 AM   #3
cplus

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
I'll leave the RMS issue to others.

It's not that Porsche motors can't be rebuilt - it's that doing so could possibly cost more than a "new" motor. Here's what I was told when I faced having my existing motor rebuilt or putting in a "new" one. It's possible that re-building the motor could be less expensive, but depending on the problem, it could also be more expensive than a new engine. By the time they drop the engine, tear it down, fix the problem, and re-install - you could be looking at serious coinage.

For this reason - when there is a "catastrophic" engine failure, you'll often hear about the new motor. It's generally what they recommend - and it's generally what we end up doing....

Did that help at all?

So it's more cost effective to replace than repair? Wow. The impication is that the cost to repair a P-car motor must then be greater than the $8k-12k to replace. This leads to two new questions. First, is it the cost of parts or labor that is prohibitive? I'm assuming it's labor, but I've also noticed a dearth of aftermarket motor parts so that may be a factor.

On a more fundamental level, I'm wondering if Porsche designed these motors without much thought to ease of repair. If so, what will owners do when their cars all get to the 150k/200k/250k mile range when a major engine overhaul would be in order? A new motor would be far more expensive than the value of the car, but the owner would take a bath if he/she tried to sell the car sans engine. A dilemma indeed.

(I'd probably jump in and tear the engine down myself, but I may not be entirely sane. )
cplus is offline   Reply With Quote