Thread: Heartbroken
View Single Post
Old 07-14-2014, 10:37 AM   #15
JayG
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by keysguy View Post
Thanks all for the advise. I was hoping to keep lawyers out of it but it's already turning ugly. My insurance company recommended that I file the claim directly with the other ones to avoid any out of pocket expenses. (detectable and such) The other insurance company just told me they have no adjuster in my area (Florida Keys) and i needed to e-mail them pictures to get the process started. Easy enough then I could take the car to any shop I choose to have the work done and if the work was more they would pay than the estimate from the pictures they woudl pay for it. The problem is I an 3 hours away form the nearest Porsche dealer, so I told them that was fine with me please arrange to have it towed to the Porsche dealer in Miami. They will only tow it to the "closest" repair shop, but I can have the work done anywhere I want I just need to pay for the towing there. I could drive it up but that means at least two days off One up and one back plus the rental car. Not sure what to do from this point.... I was already wondering about the diminished value because now the car has a carfax history, never was able to get to that point
don't be afraid to get a lawyer involved. They should give you a free consultation and let you know your options and rights. It should not cost you a dime, they will get paid from the other insurance company

Your claim is with the other drivers insurance company, not yours. Your insurance should only come into play if the other person was under insured and does not have coverage to pay for your repairs, loss of use (rental car) and any injuries

I am not advocating making up an injury, but I do know from experience that even a slow speed rear ender can cause you injuries that you may not even realize that you were injured. I was hit from behind a few years ago while stopped at a red light. The other person was traveling at maybe 10 mph and I did suffer mild whiplash as well as some lower back pain. It did not manifest until several days later. I ended up having about 5 weeks of physical therapy.

Long story short, go see a doctor and get checked out even if you don't think you were injured. any rear end collision can cause whiplash, back injuries and even a concussion. Their insurance should cover your medical costs.

As far as the tow, you need to become a very squeaky wheel with the other insurance company, might need to move it up the food chain and get to a manager. You have a high performance sports car that need specialized service and if the closest place that specializes in Porsche repair is 3 hours away, that is where they need to get your car, not a local Earl Scheib or Maaco or Joe's cheap and easy

The tow issue alone may warrant getting represented by a lawyer

Sorry for your loss, hopefully there is not frame damage and it can get properly repaired to your satisfaction
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote