View Single Post
Old 03-22-2006, 05:35 AM   #19
986Jim

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle
"Yeah, there is a bit of a "buffer" in what Nissan thinks is safe and what the average tuner thinks is safe, but still... completely disabling one or the other of those two sensors is a recipe for disaster."
__________________________________________________ _______________

I can see how you would think that.
BUT notice that the MAF reading is set to factory default failure code - forty below. Colder the air, the denser the air, less particles can be suspended in it - so the the ECU compensation by running the richest it's program will allow. After that, just make sure your mapping is right so that you don't run too rich.
As a matter of fact, fouling plugs has been our only problem. We haven't had a single lean out in about 20 cars over the last 3 years, and at 52k miles my Z is just fine.
As for GIAC..I don't know. That is why I am posting, to gather info. It's always just a matter of electronics these days. If someone knows where I can buy Porsche diagnostics for out CONSULT station here at the dealership our Techs could figure a lot out.
I hear what your saying about the 350z. My father and I are bulding a 3.5L 95 Maxima for drag racing and were doing the same thing. The knock sensor on the VQ35DE is totally a drag and is best eliminated, but this is rare and only applies to that motor. I would never do this to any other car. It just seems that the stock programming in the VQ computer is designed the say way as others are saying. For retards that put water in the tank, they have to make the car still run. We are getting around the stock computer with an emanage ultimate and some time on the dyno. I wouldn't see this as even an option on a Porsche.

On that application yes it works, but I would never apply that logic to another platform.
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote