View Single Post
Old 07-12-2014, 05:12 PM   #1
roland3337

Angry Computer under driver's seat

I have a 2002 Boxster, non-S, 61k miles. Some days ago, I had some strange electrical problems. At first, I thought it was the ignition switch. But when I noticed water on the driver's side floor, and investigated related posts about bizarre electrical issues, I fear the computer under the driver's seat (that evidently prevents theft), got wet due to a clogged drain. The electrical problems are as follows:
  • Windows won't go down.
  • Won't start/turn over when the key is turned. (Dash lights and instruments come on, but nothing else happens. No clicking sound).
  • Front trunk won't open when the button is pushed (rear trunk will open, and right now, it does so when the key is turned in the ignition when I try to start it.)
  • Horn honks twice every 30 seconds or so.

My plan is to take out the driver's seat, dry everything out and say a few prayers that I the computer isn't dead. My questions:
  • Since the front trunk won't open, I can't disconnect the battery without getting access the hard way: cable near the right or left headlight from inside the wheel well. Can I simply do this without the key in the ignition, or should I take the trouble to disconnect the battery?
  • What is the exact name of this particular unit, in the event I have to find a replacement?

Thanks in advance, as always.

Roland3337

Last edited by roland3337; 07-12-2014 at 05:15 PM. Reason: Added info about my car.
roland3337 is offline   Reply With Quote