View Single Post
Old 07-11-2014, 03:19 PM   #2
JFP in PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilson01S View Post
I have an airbag light on my 2001 S that has been on since it came back from the bodyshop this spring. Since I was working so hard to get all the mechanical bugs out of the car I neglected the airbag light until today.

I scanned the Airbag system and it has a code 195? I googled this and there were a few threads on this about the car being jump started with the ignition on (which I can almost GUARANTEE happened while at the body shop) and causing the airbag module to fail.

Is there some substance to that?

Can I get an airbag module from a wrecked 2001 S, or someone parting a car out, plug it in and it will work?

Does it need to be activated?

What are the proper steps here while simultaneously avoiding the dealer?
I don't know what system you used to scan the car with, but I would suggest first scanning the car with a Porsche specific system (Durametric, PST II, PIWIS) to verify the code(s) (Air bags are a "protected code area" in Porsche techno babble, so only certain system can read and reset the system). Once you have the codes, have the same system reset the airbag system and see if they come back.

Rarely do you need to replace the airbag control module in these cars, and they ain't cheap, so quality diagnostics prior to replacing anything should be in your future......